|THE BRITISH OVERSEAS RAILWAYS HISTORICAL TRUST
A UK Registered Educational Charity
COLD WAR RAILCAR
PRESERVATION OF THE C-IN-C BAOR'S COMMAND TRAIN
A feature of most British Military Campaigns from the Sudan to the Second World War has been the C-in-C's Command Train. Such trains reached their peak with General Haig's 14 coach HQ train for use in France in the First World War. The only such train to have survived is the last of such trains, the twin railcar unit of the C-in-C BAOR, which is in need of a good home.
|The BAOR two car unit in its final form was built for the British Army to their requirements by Talbot in 1955 using extensively modified parts from old pre-war German railcars, which had been in service with BAOR since 1953. This unit is powered by a 1937 MAN diesel engine with Voith twin torque converter drive and has been often used by Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. It was withdrawn from service in 1976 and sold to the late Mr De Lille of Maldegem in Belgium in 1978. It is now in poor condition, although not completely beyond restoration to working order. At present the railcar is being prepared for movement to the UK.
After several attempts to find a home for it we have recently been offered accomodation for it and will shortly be appealing for the £48,000 needed to ship it to the UK.
The unit in De Lille's yard in 1981. The device under the front of the power car just above the rails is not some sort of cowcatcher, but rather vulnarable oil coolers for the hydraulic transmission, Photo © Kevin Hoggett
A leaflet on this unit is available to download here. A 12 page report on its probable history and its present condition is available from the Trust's registered office.
A STORY OF BRITISH EXPORT ACHIEVEMENT
|Registered Charity No 290944||Company Limited by Guarantee No 1862659|